Vipul is the Managing Partner leading the tax practice of Deloitte India.
Vipul has experience of more than 24 years in the field of corporate taxation, both domestic and international, and services some of the largest clients of the Mumbai office.
Vipul has gained substantial experience and expertise in Technology, Telecommunication and Financial Services sectors and serves a large number of Foreign Institutional Investors (FII) clients of the firm. As the Global Lead Tax Partner of a large Indian conglomerate he has wide ranging experience in advising on domestic and international tax issues across varied industries and in particular Technology, Telecommunications, Financial Services, Automobiles, Chemicals, Power, Steel. He has also played a key role in advising clients bidding to acquire some of the biggest privatizations offers made by the Government of India.
Vipul has led large projects involving multiple service lines and countries for outbound investment from India, structuring of transactions and operations, tax management and compliance related services, litigation support, tax due diligence for acquisitions / privatizations, advising on tax issues for re-structuring and re-organisations of businesses etc.
Dinesh Kanabar is the CEO of Dhruva Advisors LLP.
Dinesh is a Fellow Member of the Institute of Chartered Accountants of India and has more than 25 years’ experience in advising some of the largest multinationals in India.
Prior to founding Dhruva Tax Advisors, he was the Deputy CEO of KPMG in India and the Chairman of its tax practice.
He has worked with several Corporates, multi-national and Indian, on entry strategy, fund raising, operating excellence, benchmarking, risk management, etc. He handled some of the biggest tax controversies and has advised on innovative structures for inbound and outbound investments.
He has worked closely with the government on matters relating to corporate and tax policy, tax administration and related matters. Dinesh is a Member of National Executive Committee of FICCI and a member of the Rangachary Committee set up by the Prime Minister of India for reviewing the taxation of Development Centres and the IT Sector.
Mukesh is Managing Partner of BMR Legal and non-executive Chairman of the firm. With a specialisation in corporate international tax and transfer pricing, he has experience in advising Fortune 500 multinationals and Indian business houses on a wide range of matters relating to FDI policy, business re-organisations, cross-border tax structuring, tax controversy and regulatory policy across a range of sectors.
Mukesh has several authorships to his credit – including works published by LexisNexis Butterworths and a treatise on Transfer Pricing Dispute Resolution for the Cambridge University Press. His other authorships include the Wolters Kluwer CCH online guide to Transfer Pricing in Asia and titles on Business Restructurings and Customs Valuation, co-authored for the International Bureau of Fiscal Documentation (IBFD). Mukesh participated in the Kelkar task force (2002) tax reforms and was a member of the Indian Ministry of Finance (MoF) committee on e-commerce taxation. He is presently representing International Chamber of Commerce, Paris (ICC) on the MoF Standing Committee on TDS and Foreign Tax Credit.
Mukesh has served as member of expert task force on International Tax and Transfer Pricing set up by MoF in July 2012. He is a member of Tax bureau of OECD- BIAC, Permanent Scientific Committee of IFA and Vice Chairman of Taxation Commission of ICC.
He is presently member of Focus Group on administrative practices on tax disputes under the Tax Administration Reform Commission (TARC) set up in August 2013 by the MoF. Mukesh is part of the eminent expert panel of NITI Aayog, a policy think tank of the Indian government chaired by Prime Minister Narendra Modi.
He has been consistently featured amongst leading international tax and transfer pricing advisors in independent surveys, most notably Euromoney International Tax Review, Legal Review expert guides, Asia Law Leading Lawyers, Chambers & Partners and Who’s Who Legal of Corporate Tax Lawyers. Mukesh has been ranked as the top Tax Controversy Leader in India 2014 by International Tax.
Mukesh is a Commerce graduate from the University of Bombay and also holds a Bachelor’s degree in Law. He qualified as a Chartered Accountant in 1985 and enrolled as an Advocate in 2010 and is member of Bar Council of Delhi and practices in various Tribunals, High Courts and Supreme Court of India.
Rohan Shah is Managing Partner and leads the tax practice at Economic Laws Practice (ELP), a leading law firm in India.
V. Lakshmikumaran is the Founder and Managing Partner of Lakshmikumaran & Sridharan (L&S). For over 28 years, Lakshmikumaran has handled several high profile litigations and has led the firm in representing clients in over 30,000 litigations before Supreme Court of India, High Courts, tribunals and quasi-judicial authorities. He has played a pivotal role in the development of jurisprudence relating to customs and excise laws in India. Lakshmikumaran has also been involved in interpreting and applying various multi-lateral agreements at both national and international levels. He has successfully represented clients from many countries in several anti-dumping, subsidy and trade investigations initiated by India. Before starting L&S in 1985, Lakshmikumaran was part of the Indian Revenue Service for about ten years and was instrumental in devising certain key tax policies of the Indian government.
- Sujit is a Partner & National Head at Advaita Legal and has over 20 years of experience
- Sujit is a lawyer by qualification, and has graduated from the prestigious National Law School of India University, Bangalore. He is admitted as an Advocate with the Delhi Bar Council
- In his 20 years of experience, he has specialized in all Indirect Taxes and has catered to clients in various sectors. He has played a lead role in conceptualizing overall transaction structures, finalizing the relevant contractual documents and tax impact analysis for several infrastructure projects.
- Sujit is also an Arguing Counsel and appears regularly before the Supreme Court, all major High Courts and various benches of the Customs Excise and Service tax Appellate Tribunal on tax and regulatory matters. He has been listed by the International Tax Review, 2014 as one of the 22 leading tax litigators of India
- Sujit was the arguing counsel for Alstom for the landmark decision by the Gujarat High Court on the constitutional validity of provisions pertaining to deemed export benefits for power projects.
- Sujit regularly speaks in various prestigious fora and has published several articles in reputed tax portals, journals and newspapers
- Sujit is currently the Chairman -Tax Committee of the Indian National Bar Association of India; & Vice Chairman – State of Haryana for the All India Federation of Tax Practitioners
- Prior to Advaita, Sujit was with Arther Andersen and thereafter Ernst & Young. In his last stint with BMR Legal, Sujit was the National Head and Leader for Tax Litigation and Legal Documentation. He was one of the founding Partners of BMR.
Ameet has been in private practice in India since qualifying as a CA in 1986. He has passed both the CA examinations (Inter and Final) with a rank at the all India level. He did his articleship with a reputed firm – S.V. Ghatalia & Associates. Currently, he is a partner at Manohar Chowdhry & Associates. He has spent a large part of his professional career dealing with taxation matters and in the past few years, he has focused on tax matters of FIIs, Banks, Mutual Funds, QFIs and now FPIs.
Tax Planning, Appeals and Representations and Information Technology related issues. Focus on tax related issues pertaining to the Financial Services sector – particularly FII/FPIs and also NRIs.
- A member of the Finance & Taxation Panel of CII’s Western Region and also of the Bombay Chamber of Commerce & Industry.
- A member of the Journal Committee, International Tax Committee, HR & TI Committee and Co-chairman of Taxation Committee of Bombay Chartered Accountants’ Society (which is a voluntary body of CAs with about 9,200 members from across India)
- Is an independent non executive director of LIC Housing Finance Limited, B4U Television Network India Ltd and B4U Broadband India Pvt Ltd.
- An elected member of the Managing Committee of the Bombay Chartered Accountants’ Society from 1998-99 to 2010-11 and has held various posts viz. Hon. Treasurer, Hon. Joint Secretary, Convenor of Income-tax Study Circle and the Human Development Study Circle of this organization for several years. Has been a member on various committees such as Taxation, Indirect Tax, Journal, Seminar, Public Relations, Professional Development and Information Technology. He headed the organisation in 2009-10 as its President.
- A member of the Information Technology Committee of the Indian Merchants Chamber
- A member of the Information Technology Committee and the Corporate Members’ Committee of the Chamber of Tax Consultants.
- Involved with ICAI activities by being part of the Technical Committee of WIRC Regional Conference and also a member of the Expert Group constituted to suggest changes in the syllabus for the IT related papers of the CA curriculum.
Speaking & writing engagements:
- Led several Income-tax Study Circle Meetings of Bombay Chartered Accountants’ Society, Institute of Chartered Accountants of India, Chamber of Tax Consultants, Moneylife Foundation, Dignity Foundation, Rotary & Lions Clubs, Assocham, CII and other bodies and also delivered a talk at the National Academy of Direct Taxes & the Direct Tax Regional Training Institute at Bengaluru.
- He is a Co-author of following publications of the Bombay Chartered Accountants’ Society:
- “Calculators to Computers – a Paradigm Shift”
- "Shares And Securities - Taxation & Accounting" (now in its 5th edition)
- “Tax Deduction at Source” “FAQs on e-TDS”
- He writes regularly for Money Outlook, MoneyLife, CNBC’s moneycontrol.com, Taxsutra, monthly journals of several mutual funds and Dignity Foundation and occasionally in the Journal of the Bombay Chartered Accountants’ Society. He also writes for Kotak Mahindra Bank’s magazine for its privy customers.
- He has also appeared on several programs on national television and his views are regularly quoted in newspapers and websites and is very active on various social and professional media networks.
K.R. Sekar is a Tax partner with Deloitte and leads the Global Business Tax Practice for Deloitte India. He is also the Regional Practice Leader for Deloitte South India. Sekar has over 25 years of experience in the field of Direct Taxes, Mergers and Acquisitions, International Taxation and Transfer Pricing. His client portfolio includes leading companies in Technology, Media, Telecommunications, Manufacturing and Engineering
Sekar’s key areas of expertise include inbound structuring, litigation support and advising on cross border tax issues. He advises inbound global companies coming into India on entry strategy, inbound structuring and assists them on mitigating tax risks. He is also associated with many landmark litigation cases for global companies.
Sekar is the Chairman of Direct Taxes Expert Committee – Bangalore Chamber of Industry & Commerce and Member of the India Board of International Fiscal Association and also works closely with other chambers including NASSCOM. He is part of Task Force constituted by Tax Administration Reform Commission (TARC) to recommend measures for reforms in Tax Administration. He is the Founder Director of International Tax Research and Analysis Foundation.
He is also a prolific writer contributing regularly to tax journals and mainline papers. He has authored many books including Transfer Pricing Law & Practice, Taxation of Merger, De-Merger & Foreign Collaboration and Landmark Judgements of Supreme Court on Direct Tax Laws: An Analysis.
Recognized as one of the leading tax advisers from India in the Guide to the World’s Leading Tax Advisers published by Legal Media Group, Euromoney.
Recognized as one of the leading tax controversy leaders 2013 by International Tax Review.
Menaka Doshi has been a broadcast journalist for almost 12 years, having begun her career with TV18 in 1996 as Features Reporter on India Business Report (BBC). Thereafter she moved to reporting business news for CNBC-TV18. She has played an integral role in news programming in the past 9 years and is now Corporate Editor. In the past she has covered many corporate beats including cement, oil & gas, petrochemicals, energy and telecommunications as well as many corporate houses such as Reliance, A V Birla Group etc. She has also anchored and produced Young Turks, a show that profiles young achievers and Realty Check, a show that captured all the real estate action in the country. She also co-anchored CNBC-TV18's primetime evening news show India Business Hour. Now she has diversified her interests to special programming, such as, The Firm and Riders in the Storm. Menaka was the first recipient of the Ramnath Goenka Excellence in Journalism Award 2005-06 in the category of Business & Economic Journalism (Broadcast).